THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
The church is the reminiscent of the sacrifices, forced labor, ingenuity and engineering skills of our forefathers. From 1850 under the parish of Ibajay with Fr. Basilio Albar as the parish priest it took several decades to finish the construction of the church in 1894. The church is a replica of the Fort Santiago style made of coral stones and lime. The wall is so thick that it has sustained and withstood the many earthquakes that occurred in the island. The roof was completely burned during the World War II but has been repaired. The people themselves continued to repair the slight ruins to preserve the original structure as symbol of posterity and existence of early Christian religion in the town, for future generation to see, to know and to believe that this edifice is the fruit of the sacrifices of their forefathers and the introduction of Catholic religion and Spanish Sovereignty in the Philippines for almost 400 years.
The former centerpiece in the town center of Buruanga called Rizal Park. This edifice was made significant as venue for the several events of oath taking and inaugurations of Municipal Officials and Mayors. It served as stage for honored guests and significant political figures during special events in the municipality. The Grand Stand was the remaining witness to the transformation and metamorphosis of Buruanga into what it is nowadays.
The STAIRWAY TO EDUCATION
The historic stairway to the Buruanga Elementary School. This is the central elementary school, home for the pioneer Buruanganon educators. Formal education was introduce in Buruanga during the American era. Buruanga was under the municipality of Ibajay. Elementary graduates obtain their secondary education at Ibajay Academy. Other students obtain college education in Manila and other nearby town of Kalibo and other provinces.
THE BURUANGA VOCATIONAL SCHOOL
Established as Buruanga Regional High School in 1947, then by virtue of R.A. 2624, passed in Congress and approved on June 14, 1960, it was converted into BURUANGA VOCATIONAL SCHOOL. In 1975, the school was permitted to offer a Two-Year Trade Curriculum. Subsequently, the Certificate of Technology (COT) was offered in 1992 with Major in Electrical Technology and in 1997, the Electronics Technology.
Consequently, in 1997, the BVS was then classified as one of the Tech-Voc schools in the region and was placed under the TESDA’s supervision. The TESDA was responsible for the enhancement of BVS being TVET institution and has allocated substantial amount for its capability build-up programs.
Adopting the Educational Commission (EDCOM) recommendation as bases for educational reforms, the Two-Year Post-Secondary Program was abolished in 2001. Effective School Year (SY) 2002-2003, BVS offered only the Basic Education Curriculum (BEC). In support to the DepEd thrust for productive, relevant, and quality vocational education, and being one of the prioritized 272 Tech-Voc Schools in the country, the Strengthened Technical-Vocational Education Program–Competency-Based Curriculum (STVEP-CBC) was implemented during SY 2005-2006. The redesigned program is an enhancement of the technical-vocational education and focused on the 21st Century Skills, such as digital literacy, inventive thinking, effective communication and high productivity.
THE BURUANGA ACADEMY
Established in the year 1956, the school was founded by spouses Magdalena Ascano Marasigan and Atty. Andres Napoleon Panganiban Marasigan. With their hardship and sacrifices in achieving their education outside their hometown Buruanga, the couple dream of putting up an institution with the vision to foster secondary and tertiary education for the future generations of poor and deserving Buruanganons who could not afford to send their children away for private higher education. The school was named BURUANGA ACADEMY owned and managed by a family corporation the Buruanga Academy, Inc.
The school the pioneer in private institution become the center of quality education in Buruanga including the neighboring towns and provinces. Relevant curriculums adapted from reputable private schools in Manila were applied. Aside from its homegrown students, enrollees from Malay, Boracay, Romblon, Libertad and Caluya Island in the nearby province of Antique flocked the school. It gained its initial Government Recognition No. 79 series of 1961. It succeed to achieve re-issuance of Government Recognition No. SR-025 series 2014 and become a government subsidiary under the FAFI. The school the pillar of education played a significant role in the socio-cultural growth of Buruanga producing graduates who became achievers and professionals in various fields of academic and technical courses.